Home       About       Contact       Favorites       Mosaic Makeovers      

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunless Tanner Tutorial

About four years ago I gave up tanning beds for the safer alternative of sunscreen and sunless tanner. I've always experimented with sunless tanner, but when I decided that it would be my only go to for bronze skin, I went into hard core testing mode. I get asked all the time what kind of sunless tanner I use and how I get it to look so natural, so I decided to write a lil tutorial to share with all of you!!

Step 1: shave and scrub (and scrub and scrub)
- this little guy is a dream scrubber! You can get one anywhere.

Step 2: moisturize (esp. around elbows, knees, ankles and underarms)
- any moisturizer will do, I just like the baby lotion :)

Step 3: apply sunless tanner (this is the tricky part)
- I have tried almost every sunless tanner on the market and this stuff is the best! the packaging is a little different these days, but I ordered this giant bottle a few years ago on Amazon and haven't run out yet! You can look online for a deal or head over to my favorite place in the world...SEPHORA!
- wear gloves (this is non-negotiable!)
- slather it on, making sure you get it everywhere, but not necessarily evenly!
- SLATHER IT ON! SERIOUSLY!
- You are going to look like you bathed in mud, but that means you did it right! (My husband says I look like pigpen on Charlie Brown, but the results in the morning are worth it!)
- I usually roll my gloves down a bit so I can blend it onto the tops of my hands a bit. 
- Let it dry for a bit (it will still be a lil sticky) and then put on your pjs and get into bed. 

Step 4: in the morning, hop in the shower and watch the bronzer wash off to reveal a beautiful natural glow!

Step 5: apply an SPF 15 or higher Sunscreen ladies!
-did you know that we are constantly exposed to UV rays? In fact, most of us rack up about 14 hours of casual UV exposure per week! Prolonged human exposure to UV radiation may result in acute and chronic health effects as well as diminishment of skin cells, fibrous tissue and blood vessels, which may lead to wrinkles, age spots and skin cancer. Skin cancer is the most common form of human cancer. It is estimated that over 1 million new cases occur annually. The annual rates of all forms of skin cancer are increasing each year, representing a growing public concern. It has also been estimated that nearly half of all Americans who live to age 65 will develop skin cancer at least once. (medicinenet.com)
-I want to look 22 forever, so I use this daily protection moisturizer along with my SPF 15 Oil Of Olay moisturizer and my SPF 15 Bare Minerals foundation EVERY DAY! (blogger hops off soap box)

Sometimes the whole process of sunless tanning takes too much time and I need an instant glow (ie. deciding to wear a dress or shorts and realize my legs are albino), so I use this lil genius! Sally Henson Airbrush Legs. Who know you could find such a gem at the grocery store?!?! Apply a little bit of moisturizer, spray into your hand, rub on, and voila! Try it, you'll love it!

This is the real secret weapon! Lush Black Stockings! I honestly have no clue if this is the intended use of this product, but I freaking love this stuff! It comes in these little heart shape massage bars, so you just rub them between your palms to warm them up and then you can rub them directly onto your legs arms, shoulders, back, etc. This company is all about "Fresh Handmade Cosmetics" and I love love love their products. This little chunk of magic will give you the most beautiful glow you can imagine (and it smells great too). I use it alone as well as on top of my Sally Henson Airbrush Legs. If you aren't blessed to live in a city that has a Lush store, you can go to Lush.com and stock up on some goodies!

Okay ladies, try it out and let me know how it works for you! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment